Port Macquarie Steiner School opened in 2018 with six kindergarten children in a rented church hall. Three years later we have grown to 30 students for K to Class 3 (adding Class 4 in 2021), with much interest from families in the local community, and a dedicated small teaching faculty. Port Macquarie Steiner School was born out of an impulse that took hold in the hearts of five parents with young children at our weekly Steiner playgroup in 2016. The school has been truly fortunate to draw to itself all that is needed for a pioneer school to grow. Through numerous challenges we have established a strong foundation and are excited by the prospect before us of putting our roots down on our permanent site. Recently, after much searching, we have found a beautiful block of land with tall trees where we hope to build our future primary school. We have exchanged contracts, arranged finance, and are looking to settle on this property in December. We are embarking on the next phase of the school’s development that will involve the exciting prospect of working with our committed team in designing and building a new school campus from the ground up, and transitioning the school in stages from our current home to its new location.
The Port Macquarie-Hastings region is one of the fastest growing places in NSW and young families are on the move to the area. Port Macquarie Steiner School is the only Steiner group operating in the local area, so we have an especially important role in engaging the community and offering for some families, their first introduction to Steiner education, and for many more, a deeper connection to this education.
We have a strong connection to our environment, the land in our region, and a great respect for the Birpai people, whose history in this place brings vital knowledge and wisdom of the land.
We are seeking a teaching principal with a sound grounding in anthroposophical understandings to preserve the integrity of our work bringing this healing and heart-centered education to the children of Port Macquarie and surrounds.
You will be a person who:
- Has demonstrated success in a leadership role in a Steiner school.
- Is able to demonstrate the capacity provide leadership that supports collegiality, inclusion and excellence of outcomes.
- Is a highly competent Steiner teacher, with experience in Primary, who is able to mentor, develop and grow the talents of a small teaching team in the area of Steiner pedagogy.
- Has the capacity and experience to promote parent involvement and parental education programs to further understanding of and support for Steiner education.
- Thrives on challenges and can work effectively in an environment of constant change.
- Is highly effective communicator, confidently interacting with all levels within the school and in the broader community.
- Has the capacity to provide strategic advice to the Board to support the growth, health and success of the school.
Please contact Mel Ayriss (details below) for an application package and forward your application addressing the above criteria and including two professional referees to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 16th October 2020
Contact: Mel Ayriss – Board President email@example.com 0419 665 598