Science Laboratory Assistant
Orana Steiner School is an independent, co-educational and non-denominational school set in 13 hectares of unique, natural landscape in Weston, ACT.
We are seeking a Science Laboratory Assistant to provide technical support to the School’s science faculty in a range of areas and to assist in providing effective learning outcomes for students of science in High School & Senior College.
This is a term-time only position commencing 22 July 2019 (beginning of Term 3). The working hours will be 12 hours per week over two days. It is initially a 12 months contracted position with the prospect of an extended appointment.
- Provide technical support to science teaching staff;
- Advise science teaching staff on technical components of curriculum;
- Demonstrate laboratory techniques to science teaching staff/students, assist with the use of computers and learning technologies within the department;
- Perform the preparation and maintenance tasks in the laboratory;
- Maintain scientific materials within the science department and maintain records;
- Assist with the science budget and petty cash system;
- Liaise with organizations and industries for purpose of acquiring equipment, excursions or use of materials etc;
- Employ safe work practices in the science laboratory by applying Worplace Health & Safety legislation.
- Effective communication skills and the ability to relate well to both students and staff;
- Demonstrated capacity to take on responsibility and work independently;
- Efficient research skills to seek out new technologies and/or resources for staff;
- A high level of organizational skills;
- Competency with reading instructions and use of mathematics i.e. handling technical equipment & chemical preparation;
- Previous Workplace Health & Safety knowledge and/or experience would be advantageous.
- Related qualifications to Science or Laboratory;
- Hold or be eligible for (ACT) Working with Vulnerable People registration;
- Current or be eligible for First Aid Certificate.
Apply in writing by emailing your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application document should include current resume and a covering letter addressing the selection criteria. Please ensure your application details your full qualifications, registrations, experience and three referees.
Applications close on Monday 17 June 2019.