Science & Physical Education Teacher 2023
Part time (2 days per week)
Orana School is looking for a dynamic teacher both inside and outside the classroom, who is looking to make a real difference in shaping Orana’s educational community.
Orana Steiner School is a vibrant, growing co-educational Early Childhood to Year 12 school of around 600 students. Set within a natural landscape and on a magnificent 16-hectare property in Weston, an inner south suburb of Canberra, Orana seeks to provide a high-quality education for its students, based on the Steiner Education tradition. In its 40-year history, Orana Steiner School has developed an enviable reputation for its standards and achievements, and its warm, caring culture. Orana proudly employs applicants from a diverse range of backgrounds.
We are seeking to appoint a part-time, Junior Science and PE Teacher to commence at the beginning of the 2023 school year. This is a 12-month position.
Within the guidelines of the Australian Steiner Education Curriculum Framework, you will work creatively to plan, implement and monitor a quality educational science and PE program, grounded solidly in the philosophy and principles of Steiner Education and in line with our core principles, vision, mission and values.
You will be responsible for teaching Science to our junior year levels, and PE to Upper Primary and High School classes. You will teach a variety of PE activities that develop the understanding of cooperation, team work, effort, inclusivity, special awareness, skills development and broaden the range of activities that the individuals are comfortable participating in.
The PE program at Orana aims to activate all students towards a healthy life style and to introduce them to a variety of sports in an enjoyable way. The emphasis is on good sportsmanship and healthy living rather than the competition.
To be successful in this role, you will require:
- Teaching experience in the subject areas, preferably across a range of year levels
- excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to motivate and inspire young people and communicate effectively with students, parents, teachers, volunteers and support staff
- the ability to integrate technology into classroom practice
- broad knowledge of ACARA PDHPE curriculum from Years 7 to 10
- knowledge and experience of effective teaching and learning practice based on an inquiry model
- a willingness to participate enthusiastically in the School’s pastoral and co-curricular program
- a cultural understanding and respect of people from all backgrounds; and
- have a strong commitment to student welfare.
The right person for the job will:
- have exemplary and innovative pedagogical skills
- be committed to ongoing professional development
- be capable of delivering dynamic and effective lessons
- be organised, energetic and self-directed
- have a sharp and progressive vision of teaching and learning in what is a successful and dynamic school.
- a commitment to further personal development through anthroposophical study and artistic activity; and
- have an active interest and enthusiasm to engage with the Steiner curriculum.
- Formal teaching qualifications, specialising in Physical Education (PE) and science.
- Steiner training is desirable but not essential.
- Current ACT TQI Registration (or eligible to obtain).
- Current ACT Working with Vulnerable People (WwVP) registration (or eligible to obtain).
Salary and Conditions
Our school operates under the Independent Schools NSW Teachers (Hybrid Model) Multi-Enterprise Agreement 2021. Salary and conditions are determined by this agreement.
How to Apply
Please apply directly through the SEEK portal. To be considered, your application must include:
- Your resume, including full contact details and details of two referees
- A statement (max. 2 pages) outlining your suitability for the position based on the requirements outlined above, and what you will bring to the position.
Email address for enquiries: HR@oranaschool.com. Applications must be submitted through SEEK.
Applications close: Sunday, 27 November 2022.