Primary Education Coordinator
For Immediate Start
Purpose of Position
The Primary Education Coordinator develops and oversees a whole-school approach to learning, assessment and reporting in early childhood and primary with an aim to improve student learning outcomes and school accountability for learning.
Position Requirements & Responsibilities
- Planning for and evaluating an effective school-wide assessment and reporting process, with an aim to improve student learning outcomes and school accountability.
- Assisting teachers to implement and analyse assessments
- Compiling student learning reports and curriculum evaluations throughout the year to present to the Principal and School
- Board so as to detect patterns and identify areas for improvement
- Supporting teachers in delivering learning outcomes aligned with the Australian Steiner Curriculum Framework and in developing effective planning documents. Ensuring teachers understand the Steiner curriculum.
- Assisting the Principal in the recruitment of education staff, including relief staff.
- Supervising and coordinating relief staff as needed, as well as volunteers and practicum students.
- Giving extra support to new teachers, or specialist teachers in understanding and implementing the Steiner curriculum (especially if they are transitioning from a mainstream perspective).
- Helping to build and evaluate a strong Staff Induction process to support and guide new teachers in relation to their responsibilities and understanding of their role/curriculum.
- Observing, evaluating and giving feedback on professional teaching practice (classroom management, behaviour management, effective teaching methods, curriculum implementation, learning outcomes, emotional health of the teacher etc.) Working closely with teachers to provide ongoing support where needed.
- Identifying and organise appropriate professional development opportunities for staff to improve their capacities and which will benefit the whole school
- Guiding and helping to evaluate Class Teachers’ Individual Education Plans, Behaviour Management Plans and any other modified learning programs. Support strategies for behaviour management, restorative processes, developing healing stories.
- Identifying resources, equipment and modifications the school may need to support student learning
- Managing and working with students to support positive behaviour.
- Liaising with the High School to build a “whole campus” approach to teaching, learning and reporting.
- Reviewing policies relating to education and education staff in consultation with all stakeholders (ie, teachers, admin staff).
- Organising adult education guidance for parents where needed for child development, Steiner education and healthy learning and home environments, at the direction of the Principal.
- Addressing major/significant parental concerns, at the direction of the Principal.
- Meeting one -on-one with colleagues on a regular, ongoing basis to check in and provide support where needed.
- Liaising with appropriate professionals for assessment and treatment when needed for individual students in collaboration with the Class Teacher
- Providing regular contributions to the school newsletter on current classroom activities, child development and Steiner education philosophy and practises.
- Overseeing teacher contributions to the school newsletter?
- Creating regular Facebook posts on school/classroom/education happenings. (1-3 per week?)
- Supporting colleagues with physical, academic and emotional resources
- Any other responsibilities as may be required
Meetings and Extra-Curricular Activities
- Planning for and facilitating all scheduled Staff meetings
- Organising and attending seasonal festivals
- Organising and attending Professional Development/In-service days
- Organising and attending parent information sessions on Steiner education/child development/child protection etc, 2-4 times a year.
- Expected to attend workshops, conferences or courses relevant to the position
Comply with all Helena River Steiner School Policies and Procedures
- Display an understanding of and commitment to all policies and procedures of the School
- Take reasonable care for own health and safety. Do not endanger own or others’ safety and health through actions or failure to act
- Work under the direction of the Principal
- Immediately report any work-related injuries which have led to, or might lead to, an injury or illness
- Immediately report all safety hazards identified in the workplace
Contribute positively to the work of Helena River Steiner School
- Promote the work and profile of HRSS in the community
- Contribute to consultations regarding policy and procedure development and operational aspects of staff support
- Uphold the sentiments of HRSS Mission and Vision Statements
- Provide reports as required by management
Essential Knowledge & Skills
- Teaching Qualification
- Relevant experience working in a Primary School
- Knowledge of the Australian Steiner Curriculum Framework, the Western Australian Curriculum and the Early Years Learning Framework (EYLF)
- Knowledge of Steiner/Waldorf teaching practices and principles
- Personal warmth, patience, tolerance, empathy, understanding and positivity
- Exceptional self-motivation and sense of responsibility
- Ability to work both as a part of a team and independently, co-operating and working with staff and parents
- Excellent communication skills both orally and in writing
Desirable Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of Anthroposophy
- An approved Steiner/Waldorf Qualification or equivalent relevant experience
- Understanding and experience of working with people from backgrounds of adversity would be an advantage
- Experience working with Aboriginal students and families
- Experience of working with children with Special Educational Needs
- Current and valid Working with Children Card
- A valid First Aid Certificate
- TRBWA registered
- Confirmation of Right to Work within Australia
How to Apply
Applications will be considered as they are received.
To apply, send a cover letter and CV addressed to Tanami Magnus at:
Applications without cover letters will not be considered.
Only those shortlisted will be contacted.