Music teacher – Violin
- Initially 0.4 fte
- Remuneration is based qualifications and experience as per FWCSS Agreement 2022
- The position works closely with the Music faculty, the Primary School faculty and reports to the Head of School.
Freshwater Creek Steiner School is a vibrant, artistic, and inclusive Primary School and Early Learning Centre situated on 24 acres of farmland near the beautiful Victorian Surf Coast. FWCSS currently has 200 children enrolled in kindergarten to Class 6.
In Steiner schools, music is a major component of the curriculum. At FWCSS, singing and instrumental music are an integral part of the educational experience from K-6.
All students in Class 3-6 learn Violin, Cello or Viola in small groups. Class 4-6 students play in the Strings Ensemble. In 2024 we will have approximately 80 strings students. Class 1-6 students learn singing with their classes, and Class 4-6 students make up the school choir. The students sometimes perform at assemblies, festivals and school events.
The purpose of the strings program at FWCSS is to awaken the inner musical life of the child, which supports their whole development and lays the foundation for holistic growth and further learning in later years. The Strings teacher’s task is to guide the students to find their way of working with their instrument and retain a curiosity and love for their instrument throughout their years at the school.
Our Music faculty currently consists of a cello tutor and a singing tutor.
The Music teacher we are seeking will:
- Teach violin to all violin students from Class 3-6. Teaching viola as well would be a bonus.
- Conduct the Strings Ensemble in collaboration with the cello tutor.
- Prepare for and attend school events where the children are performing.
- Collaborate with the cello tutor to plan the strings program and support the students to select their instrument.
- Coordinate the Music program, working with the music tutors, Class teachers, Primary School learning coordinator and Head of School.
- Manage the instruments with the support of the cello tutor.
- Assess and report on student progress in Music, in collaboration with the tutors and Class teachers.
The Music teacher we are seeking:
- has a passion for their instrument, and music in general.
- can teach children in a way that develops their appreciation for music, and for their instrument.
- maintains a warm and encouraging learning culture with the students.
- can work collaboratively with other musicians and teachers to create an integrated, developmentally appropriate, and beautiful music program, that reflects the ethos of Steiner education.
- has strong communication skills, that support the development of healthy relationships with students, colleagues, and parents/carers.
- has organisational and time management skills.
- has VIT registration, and experience in violin tuition for children and music coordination.
- is open to personal and professional learning.
- is willing to work with and deepen their understanding of the child development principles that form the foundations of Steiner education, particularly in relation to Music.
- is committed to the values and ethos of FWCSS.
- is committed to Child Protection and the right of all people to work and learn in a safe and inclusive environment. FWCSS is a Child safe environment and has zero tolerance for any form of child abuse.
Applications can be sent to email@example.com, addressed to Gabby Brennan, Head of School. Please include,
- a current resume
- a cover letter addressing the role requirements and
- contact details for 3 referees.
If you would like to discuss this role, please contact Gabby on 0490 078 107.
This position is open now. We will review applications as they arrive. If you are interested in this role please contact us as soon as possible.
Closing date for applications is Friday 15th March.