HSIE (Geography/Earth Sciences) TEACHER
Position title: Secondary Teacher
Award: Independent schools NSW MEA
Responsible to: Head of School
Lorien Novalis Steiner School is situated in the Hills District of Sydney, about 45 minutes to the northwest of the city, nestled in over 6 hectares of lush bushlands and landscaped gardens. The school has been offering a rich and creative Steiner curriculum for over 50 years and has built a strong reputation for the diverse and engaging education that it provides.
The incumbent will lead the ongoing development and implementation of Earth Sciences programs at Lorien Novalis. The load for this role can vary according to qualifications and experience and will be negotiated.
To provide caring, creative, and engaging educational programs in Geography/Earth Sciences for secondary students working with the pedagogical and artistic indications of Rudolf Steiner and the Lorien Novalis’ ethos. This position could suit either an experienced teacher or a new graduate. What is the most important aspect is that we seek a teacher with a genuine love and passion for the Earth Sciences who can lead the whole school by the nature of their enthusiasm respecting an Education that fosters the human spirit in children and young adults, allowing them to flourish in a holistic learning environment.
The school can offer the successful applicant ongoing mentoring depending on their level of experience.
- Develop and maintain a nurturing, positive learning environment.
- Implement and deliver the HSIE Curriculum (Geography)7-10 and Earth and Environmental Science (EES) Prelim and HSC, including the development and regular review of creative, engaging and effective Teaching/Learning and Assessment Programs that meet the requirements of both Steiner education and NESA, as well as the individual needs of students.
- Work within teams of teachers to plan, develop and evaluate the curriculum and teaching/learning programs.
- Work within and manage WH&S requirements related to this position.
- Organize and participate in school sport, excursions, camps and outdoor education program as required.
- Develop and maintain positive and supportive relationships and to communicate effectively with students, colleagues, parents and carers.
- Participate in school based professional learning, including attendance of staff meetings, and take responsibility for ongoing self-study of Steiner Education and Anthroposophy.
- A willingness to participate in aspects of the Lorien Novalis community, including co-curricular activities such as Festivals, Plays and Open Days.
Key Selection Criteria
- Strong background in teaching HSIE subjects. Familiarity and experience in teaching in a Steiner school main lesson context would be advantageous.
- General understanding of the principles and practices of Steiner education.
- Ability to develop interesting and effective learning programs and resources.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience of working in teams and ability to be a willing and enthusiastic team member.
- Proven commitment to ongoing professional learning.
- Secondary teaching qualifications appropriate to the position that meet NESA requirements.
- Hold a current WWCC (Working With Children Check).
- Bus Licence
- Experience teaching in Steiner schools and understanding of the principles of Steiner/Waldorf education.
- Steiner teaching qualifications.
Apply in writing by emailing in one PDF your resume, three referees, qualifications, WWCC and a covering letter addressing the selection criteria to:-
Dr Konrad Korobacz (Head of School) email@example.com
Applications close on 16th October 2023.
Earlier expressions of interest will be considered upon receipt, which may lead to interviews before this date.
The school would consider senior undergraduates who look to graduate in the near future.