High School Mathematics Teacher
This role is initially offered as a 0.6 FTE contract to the end of 2021, with the possibility of a continuation.
About Cairns Hinterland Steiner School (CHSS)
CHSS is an independent school situated in Kuranda offering Kindergarten to Class 10, as of 2021. Our high school is growing, and as such we will be delivering Class 12 by 2023. In 2021, CHSS began the Certificate of Steiner Education (CSE) with our Class 10’s and this tertiary pathway certificate continues through to Class 12.
We are a co-educational and non-denominational school offering a Steiner curriculum based on the educational insights of Rudolf Steiner. We embrace a phenomenological / experiential approach to learning which maintains curiosity and creativity. We aim to support each individual, with an understanding of their stage in adolescent development and with this understanding, we encourage each adolescent’s unique gifts and emerging potentials to become an adult who knows who they are and that they have a place in the world.
Cairns Hinterland Steiner School is seeking an experienced high school teacher with a Maths background to implement the curriculum as outlined by the School in accordance with the Australian Steiner Curriculum Framework for Class 8 and 9s and the Certificate of Steiner Education for the Class 10s. As the School continues to grow, it is the School’s aspiration that this position will extend into Class 11 and 12. The HS Maths teacher is expected to work in close cooperation with colleagues as part of the College of Teachers and under guidance from the school’s values, policies and procedures.
The role requirements are:
- Fully registered Teacher (Queensland) or eligibility for registration as a teacher with the Queensland College of Teachers
- Teach with an anthroposophical approach to each adolescent’s developmental needs and welfare
- Be committed to ongoing individual and collaborative professional development, including Steiner Education
- Demonstrate high level written and verbal communication skills
- Be responsible for maintaining positive relationships, with colleagues, parents/guardians and participate actively in the life of the school community
- Previous experience as a Steiner Teacher is preferred
To request an application package please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email your application to email@example.com and include a covering letter that addresses the Selection Criteria (below) with your resume and relevant documentation (qualifications, registration, referees, etc).
Applications close: Monday 3rd May 2021
- An understanding of the principles of Steiner Education, including an understanding of child development as described by Rudolf Steiner and a demonstrated passion for teaching in the adolescent age group.
- Strong Mathematics discipline knowledge appropriate for high school curriculum from 8 to 12, and an understanding of the phenomenological approach in relation to teaching and learning in mathematics.
- A commitment to professional learning and inner development through anthroposophical studies and artistic activities
- Demonstrated knowledge of QCT professional standards including:
- ability to implement and contribute to the design of curriculum programs consistent with their intent; and
- an understanding of how students learn, effective classroom teaching strategies and the capacity to work with colleagues to continually improve teaching and learning.
- An ability to work collegially and a willingness to actively participate in and contribute to the cultural and festival life of the school.
- Excellent organisational, communication and interpersonal skills.