Head of School
Ballarat Steiner School is seeking a Head of School who will lead us into the exciting next phase of the development of our educational program and our beautiful 10-acre site. We are looking for an experienced educator who can inspire and empower the staff and school community and bring to reality our shared vision for the school’s future.
This vision includes the development of the property to include a mixed farm and gardens, outdoor education areas and wetlands; expanding the educational program to Years 7-9; establishing an Early Childhood Education Centre; increasing enrolment numbers; and building strong links with the wider Ballarat community.
Ballarat Steiner School, Early Childhood Centre and Playgroup is a long-established and growing independent school located on a largely rural property on the edge of the city of Ballarat, Victoria. It currently provides Steiner education for around 100 children from pre-school age to Year 6.
The school is proud of our Steiner curriculum and the Head of School would be required to uphold the school’s ethos and, in collaboration with the College of Teachers, lead teachers in the further development of excellence in teaching and learning using the Australian Steiner Curriculum Framework and the AITSL standards. It is highly preferable that the successful applicant has teaching and/or leadership experience in a Steiner School and a commitment to Steiner Education.
The Head of School is responsible for the day to day management of the school so that its educational programs, policies, procedures and all activities comply with the school’s Mission and Values, our Strategic Plan and the legal and financial requirements of a registered Early Childhood Centre and School in Victoria.
The conditions of employment and salary package are negotiable, as is the starting date.
The delegated responsibilities and accountability are:
- Student wellbeing and safety including Child Protection
- Student retention and enrolments
- Staff welfare and safety, including professional development and appraisal
- Compliance with all statutory reporting requirements
- Educational programs and student outcomes
- Fostering school community engagement
- Promotion of the school in the broader Ballarat community
- Representation of the school at school events, local events, and in state and national forums such as ISV and Steiner Education Australia
- Financial planning and viability
- Working with the whole school community in the development and implementation of the school Strategic Plan
- Maintenance and deepening of the Steiner ethos of the school
The successful applicant will have:
- Current registration as a teacher in Victoria or another state/territory of Australia
- The ability to inspire and lead a school through a time of change and development
- Proven success as an educator, preferably in a Steiner School
- A commitment to Steiner educational ideals and practice
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of stakeholders
- The ability to manage resources and plan for development
- High level organisational and time management skills
- Excellent written, verbal and communication skills
- Experience of meeting the statutory requirements of governing a school in Australia
- A sense of humour
Applications and enquiries can be emailed to the Chair of the Governance Committee at email@example.com
Your application should include:
- a covering letter addressing the selection criteria
- a 2-3 page resume
- a 1-2 page (300-500 word) response to the following
- “It is 2020 and you are accompanying the VRQA Registration Panel on an introductory tour of the school. What do you show them and what do you say about the school?”
Applications Close end of day July 29, 2022