Head of School
Port Macquarie Steiner School is a small, pioneering school on the mid north coast of NSW. We have recently introduced a School Administration Manager position and seek to create a co-leadership team with the addition of a Head of School overseeing and upholding the essential educational integrity of our Steiner School.
We are seeking someone with a grounding in Steiner Education, teaching experience in the primary years, and an ability to mentor and lead our faculty in developing their teaching skills and deepening their understandings of the spiritual and anthroposophical foundations of Steiner Education. In addition, the Head of School would coordinate parent education at the school. We see this role as the absolute backbone of our school.
The position holder will be responsible for educational leadership and curriculum implementation in accordance with the requirements of Steiner Pedagogy and State and federal education Authorities. The position holder will report to the Board and provide advice to the Board on matters relating to educational development and curriculum implementation in line with Steiner pedagogy as well as contributing at Board level to strategic and business planning.
The position holder will teach a specialist subject, depending on the skills of the applicant and undertake some teaching in the Primary classes to assist with teacher release and to cover ad hoc absences.
The Port Macquarie-Hastings region is one of the fastest growing places in NSW and young families are on the move to the area. Port Macquarie Steiner School is the only Steiner group operating between Newcastle and Coffs Harbour, so we have an especially important role for the region. The Head of School would spearhead our community engagement through public talks, and as a representative and spokesperson of our school to the public.
Having recently purchased a block of land, we are embarking on the next phase of the school’s development that will involve the exciting prospect of building a new school campus from the ground up and transitioning the school in stages from our current home to its new location. The Head of School would involve the faculty to obtain their input in the design of the new school and be a member on the committee established to lead the project.
Salary is negotiable.
- Current full registration as a teacher in any Australian State or Territory and capacity to acquire full registration in NSW.
- Capacity to provide leadership that supports collegiality, inclusion, and excellence of outcomes.
- Substantial experience as a primary teacher in a Steiner education environment.
- Capacity to mentor, develop and grow the skills and talents of a small teaching team.
- Experience and/or capacity to promote parent involvement and parent education program to further the understanding of and support for Steiner education.
- Highly developed communication skills.
- Capacity to contribute to the development of the strategic vision of the School.
To register your interest, please contact Cheryl Meyer Millican, Board President at firstname.lastname@example.org