German Language Teacher - Primary School
Orana Steiner School (Orana) is an independent, co-educational and non-denominational school set in 16 hectares of unique, natural landscape in Weston, an inner south suburb of Canberra. The school was founded in 1981 and currently has enrolments from pre-preschool to Year 12.
A German language teaching position is available from 1 November 2021. This is an ongoing part-time role teaching German to Year 1-7 students. The teaching load will be approximately at FTE 0.4.
A high level of fluency in German is essential. Primary teaching experience is required as this role will be mainly teaching students in primary years.
Language Program at Orana
Learning a second language is an integral part of the curriculum at Orana. The goal of teaching a second language is not only for the students learn to communicate in that language, but also to develop broader intercultural perspectives, as well as strengthening the students’ ability for flexible and nuanced thinking. At Orana, languages in the lower classes are taught with an emphasis on immersive oral interaction in the foreign language. By the end of Primary School, students are expected to be able to read and write simple texts in German and maintain a basic conversation.
The successful applicant is expected to have:
- A Bachelor of Education degree, or its equivalent.
- Current TQI and WWVP registrations.
- Commitment to supporting and promoting the Orana Steiner School ethos.
- Excellent written and spoken proficiency in German
- German language teaching experience, preferably across all primary year levels.
- A strong interest and ability to apply the principles of Steiner Education in the curriculum.
- Ability to teach creatively in an immersive language environment
- Willingness to work collegially within the Language faculty to develop programs as needed.
- Exemplary interpersonal and communication skills and rapport with children.
- Experience and qualifications to teach other subjects will be advantageous.
How to Apply
Apply in writing by emailing a current resumé and a one-page Cover Letter. Please ensure your resume covers: education and qualifications; registrations; teaching experience; skills, achievements and awards; contact details for three referees.
Please send your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send through your application as early as possible if you are interested in this opportunity. It will be a compressed process and suitable candidates will be interviewed as applications are received.
For further information, please contact Jennifer Cox (Language Coordinator)
email: Jennifer.Cox@oranaschool.com or
phone: 02 6288 4283
Applications close at 9am Monday 29 November, 2021