Educational Leader & Class Teacher, New Zealand

Educational Leader & Class Teacher

Fossil Bay School is a small and pioneering Steiner school on Waiheke Island. We provide kindergarten, primary and intermediate year education based on the modern Steiner curriculum, that is unhurried, screen-free and has small class-size as a priority. While our kindergarten is nearly 30 years old, our primary and intermediate school was founded by parents just 4 years ago, and currently has 26 students taught in 3 composite classes. We put kindness, creativity and focus at the heart of our work. The school sits in a rural setting on Waiheke Island which is, according to Lonely Planet, one of the world’s most beautiful islands, only 40 minutes from Auckland city. We are within walking distance of the main town and two beautiful beaches. Our magical festivals bring the community together in a very special and unique way.

One of our current strategic focuses is to build our educational leadership and we are thus seeking a passionate and experienced NZ registered teacher to join and lead our small team. 80% of the role would be that of a lower school class teacher while the remaining 20% would focus on educational leadership and the development of the school. Experience working in a Steiner/Waldorf context is highly desirable, while a willingness to work in a way which aligns with our special character is essential.

Responsibilities:

  • Lower school class teacher to a composite class
  • Educational framework
  • Support to other teachers
  • Oversee planning and review meetings, timetabling and coordination of teaching staff
  • Coordinate policy and Health & Safety review
  • Be the point of contact between the teaching staff and the General Manager
  • Overarching communication to parents at whole school level

Requirements:

  •  Valid NZ teacher registration – essential requirement
  •  Teaching experience (primary years)
  • Demonstrated commitment to Steiner education and anthroposophy
  • Established leadership and organisational skills
  • Characteristics such as flexibility and creativity that are essential in a pioneering and small
  • workplace
  • Excellent people, team and communication skills

We understand that a good fit is of high importance and welcome applications even if you don’t fulfill all requirements above. Ideally, we are seeking a replacement for the beginning of Term 4, 2021 (18th October 2021), but recognise that a successful applicant may only be available for term 1, 2022. This is a permanent and full-time position.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us for more information. You can also read more about us on our website. Please include a cover letter and CV in your application.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Iris Richter, iris@fossilbay.co.nz

Closing date: 29th September