Early Childhood Assistant
Orana Steiner School (Orana) is an independent, co-educational and non-denominational school set in 13 hectares of unique, natural landscape in Weston, ACT. It was founded in 1981 and currently has enrolments from pre-school [3 y/o] to Year 12.
Orana Steiner School is seeking an Early Childhood Assistant to support the teacher in delivering the educational and pastoral care for a mixed age class of pre-preschool, pre-school and kindergarten pupils.
The Early Childhood Assistant is an integral adult in the room and the role requires an understanding of the developmental need of the children according to the principles of Steiner Early Childhood education. Responsibility of the role includes but is not limited to preparation of activities, and duties such as preparation for meals, cleaning, gardening and washing, and the supervision of children between the ages of three and six, both inside the room as well as outside in the playgrounds.
This is a part-time position and is expected to commence February 2019. The working hours are Monday – Friday 8.30 AM-3:15PM, 5 days a week during term time and some days during each of the school holidays. The Assistants are required to attend parent evenings, whole-school in-services, orientation evenings and participate in school festivals, including setting up for the festivals.
- Minimum Certificate III in Children’s Services; Diploma will be advantageous
- First Aid qualification/s and Certificates in Emergency, Asthma and Anaphylaxis will be desirable
- Currently hold or be eligible for ACT Working with Vulnerable People registration
- Ability to work with the Steiner Early Childhood philosophy and practices and child development
- Ability to provide an appropriate role model for the young child and have a strong commitment to and an understanding of duty of care
- Ability to work in a professional and collegial manner with colleagues
- Ability to plan and work in an organized manner and to self-reflect on professional practices
- Committed to ongoing individual and collaborative professional development
- Good communication and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to support professional relationships with the parents
- Ability to work under direction and be flexible, punctual and calm
- Ability to practice an appropriate standard of hygiene and safe food handling and maintain a clean, safe and orderly environment
Apply in writing by emailing your application to email@example.com.
The application document should include current resume and a covering letter addressing the selection criteria. Please ensure your application details your full qualifications, registrations, experience and your referees.
Applications close on Monday 18 February 2019.