Classroom Music Teacher
Orana Steiner School (Orana) is an independent, co-educational and non-denominational school set in 13 hectares of unique, natural landscape in Weston, ACT. It was founded in 1981 and currently has students from pre-school [3 y/o] to Year 12.
An exciting opportunity exists to join our small dedicated team of music educators to help deliver a vibrant classroom music programme across the Primary and High School.
Orana’s Music programme is inclusive and compulsory from Class 1 to 8 with elective music in High School & Senior College. Students are also encouraged to participate in extra-curricular groups and peripatetic music lessons.
Orana delivers a strong extra-curricular and concert programme throughout the year. Music teachers are expected to attend rehearsals as allocated and all concerts to help/ support student performances. Music staff will also help with the maintenance of instruments and music resources.
This is a permanent full-time position and will commence Term 2 2019.
- Experience & qualifications in classroom music teaching
- Excellent/ highly developed general musical skills and knowledge
- Ability to teach in collaborative/ team teaching situations
- Ability to teach through inquiry learning
- Ability to teach theory and composition
- Knowledge/ experience of Kodaly/Orff methods
- Knowledge/ experience of using Sibelius Music Programme as a teaching tool
- Willingness to work with an evolving, Steiner-inspired Music Curriculum
- Willingness to work with repertoire in a wide range of styles and genres
The followings will be advantageous:
- Strong abilities in playing and teaching (in a classroom setting) one or more of the following instruments – guitar, recorder and/or wind instruments, keyboard;
- Confident singing ability/ choral singing experience;
- Experience in directing classroom based ensembles;
- Experience in mentoring student directed bands;
- Experience in successfully delivering ACT Board of Senior Secondary Studies Music will be viewed favourably.
- ACT TQI Registered or eligible for the ACT TQI registration
- Current or eligible for ACT Working with Vulnerable People registration
Apply in writingby emailing your application to email@example.com.
The application document should include current resume and a covering letter addressing the selection criteria. Please ensure your application details your full qualifications, experience and your referees.
Applications close on Monday 1 April 2019.