Classroom Music Teacher
Orana Steiner School (Orana) is an independent, co-educational and non-denominational school set in 13 hectares of unique, natural landscape in Weston, ACT. It was founded in 1981 and currently has students from pre-school [3 y/o] to Year 12.
An exciting opportunity exists to join our small dedicated team of music educators to help deliver a vibrant classroom music programme across the Primary and High School.
Our music programme is inclusive and compulsory from Class 1 to 8 with elective music in High School & Senior College. A strong extra-curricular and concert programme is delivered throughout the year. Students are encouraged to participate in extra-curricular groups and peripatetic music lessons. Music teachers are expected to attend rehearsals as allocated and all concerts to help/ support student performances. Music staff will also help with the maintenance of instruments and music resources.
We expect you have experience and expertise in teaching music lessons to primary and secondary students in a classroom setting. You would also ideally have the capacity to potentially lead or coordinate some of the school music programmes.
This will be a permanent full-time position and will commence Term 3, 2019.
- Experience & qualifications in classroom music teaching
- Excellent/ highly developed general musical skills and knowledge
- Ability to teach in collaborative/ team teaching situations
- Ability to teach through inquiry learning
- Ability to teach theory and composition
- Knowledge/ experience of Kodaly/Orff methods
- Knowledge/ experience of using Sibelius Music Programme as a teaching tool
- Willingness to work with an evolving, Steiner-inspired Music Curriculum
- Willingness to work with repertoire in a wide range of styles and genres
The followings will be advantageous:
- Strong abilities in playing and teaching (in a classroom setting) one or more of the following instruments – guitar, recorder and/or wind instruments, keyboard;
- Confident singing ability/ choral singing experience;
- Experience in directing classroom based ensembles;
- Experience in mentoring student directed bands;
- Capacity to lead or contribute to the coordination of school music programmes
- Experience in successfully delivering ACT Board of Senior Secondary Studies Music will be viewed favourably.
- ACT TQI Registered or eligible for the ACT TQI registration
- Current or eligible for ACT Working with Vulnerable People registration
Apply in writingby emailing your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application document should include current resume and a covering letter addressing the selection criteria. Please ensure your application details your qualifications, teaching registrations, experience and your referees.