Class 1 Assistant
Freshwater Creek Steiner School (FWCSS) is located on a beautiful rural campus, near Geelong and the Great Ocean Road, and offers Playgroups, Kindergarten and Primary school education.
We are seeking a Class 1 assistant to join our growing Primary School Faculty from January 2021.
- 30 hours a week
- attendance from 8.45 to 3.15 Monday to Friday (half hour lunch break) Some duties may need to be performed at times other than during the school day or when students are in
- attendance, including non-term weeks and on weekends.
- Remuneration paid at Education Support Staff – ES1 or ES2 depending upon experience
- 6-month probation period and annual performance reviews.
- Self- appraisal, and feedback by Class Teacher on regular basis
- The needs of the role in the classroom are reviewed termly
- Attendance at Primary School Faculty Meeting is desirable
Freshwater Creek Steiner School has zero tolerance for child abuse and is committed to the protection of all children from all forms of child abuse. All staff, contractors, and School Council members are required to complete online training to ensure their understanding of our Program.
Applications for the position are to include
- a cover letter addressing the essential criteria
- a CV and
- the names and contact details of 3 referees
Please send to applications to
Gabby Brennan, Head of School email@example.com
with subject: Class 1 assistant Application
Applications close 9 am, Monday November 30th November
POSITION DESCRIPTION: CLASS 1 ASSISTANT
Class assistants work with the Class Teachers and Specialist Teachers to create an inclusive, supportive and creative learning environment for the class, and in particular children who need support to learn at school. The Class 1 assistant supports the Class Teacher with the successful transition of students from Prep into the Primary School. The role requires flexibility to be deployed according to school needs.
The Class assistant works closely with the Class teacher, learning support and welfare staff. The position is accountable to the Head of School
To support children in the classroom to enable effective access to the curriculum and progress with their learning and development.
Specific duties may include any/all of the following:
- Becoming informed about the individual needs of specific children.
- Providing support to the Class Teacher and Specialist Teachers
- Assisting children to enter the classroom harmoniously at the start of the day
- Provision of individual support during Main Lesson and Practice lessons
- Attending student support plan meetings if requested.
- Attending specialized training when appropriate.
- Regular discussion as required, with the Class Teacher
- Liaison with Learning Support staff
- Creation of teaching materials, seasonal display resources etc. for children
- Recording observations of children
- Maintaining communication books for specific children
- Maintaining confidentiality
- Supporting children during lunch and recess as needed
- Developing activities in the playground if required
- Seeking support and advice from school support staff and or mentor.
- Help to maintain an orderly and beautiful classroom environment
Knowledge and Experience – Essential
- Knowledge or an understanding of the principles of Rudolf Steiner Education and the Australian Steiner Curriculum Framework
- Working with Children Check
- Experience working with children in a Steiner class setting
- Experience and interest in working with children with additional needs
Personal Skills / Attributes
- Genuine interest and warmth for assisting children in a Steiner classroom setting
- Excellent interpersonal skills with children
- Ability to support the Class teacher
FWCSS: Class assistant Position description, 2020 2
- Ability to balance personal initiative with following teacher’s instruction and methodology
- Good observer and listener
- The ability to take a backseat role
- Ability to find ways effective ways of meeting an individual’s needs.
- Positive attitude and outlook