Teacher of Cello (0.4)
Mansfield Steiner School is an Early-Childhood to Senior Secondary School located in Mansfield, in Victoria’s North East. Steiner Education was first established in 1919 by the Austrian Philospher and Social reformer Rudolf Steiner, who recognised the need for a holistic education system which would enable children to impart purpose and direction to their lives.
Music is an integral part of this philosophy of education and so, at Mansfield Steiner is ingrained in the School’s life and daily routines. Students sing from the first years they attend and from there move into playing the recorder at Class 1, entering the Strings Programme at Class 3 taking on either the Violin or Cello and at Year 7 choosing to continue their stringed instrument or take on one of a number of other instruments on offer.
In the Primary years students receive weekly lessons of 30 minutes. They also take part in Class Orchestra, run by the Class teachers with the support of the Music Staff and have the opportunity to join the Junior Performance Orchestra.
In the Secondary School students also receive weekly 30 minute lessons and join one of a number of extracurricular ensembles including Orchestras and Contemporary Ensembles. These are run before school and during lunchtimes.
Students perform frequently. There are Solo Concerts held each year in which every student in Years 3-12 performs. There are numerous instrumental concerts, community performances, we tour and receive touring Steiner Schools, music is part of most School events and we present an End of Year Concert involving the whole school.
In connection with the Music Coordinator and the Teacher of Violin
- Develop curriculum, prepare for and run the Class 3 String Program
- Design and deliver curriculum for the String Programme across the Primary School
- Assist in conducting the Ensembles Programme in Class and Extra Curricular settings
- Maintain and manage instruments
- Organise and attend School concerts, festivals, tours, camps and other extra-curricular events
- Attendance and completion of Staff Professional Development
Key Knowledge, Skills and Qualification:
The Town of Mansfield has a vibrant musical community and Mansfield Rudolf Steiner School and Kindergarten supports and engages in that community. We engage with local musicians and present a number of concerts throughout the year. We desire to have our music staff perform at a high level and play a role as leaders in their field within the community. The following skills are sought in applicants for this position.
- Knowledge and understanding of all string instruments with mastery of the Cello
- Expert teaching and performance skills on the Cello
- An understanding, or willingness to undertake study of Rudolf Steiner’s philosophy on human development and its application to the teaching of music to students at their different stages of life and education
- A love of teaching and working with students from Primary to Secondary years and those of all standards of playing
- An ability to collaborate with colleagues and work in a flexible manner within a school environment that involves students and staff in many activities
- Experience in teaching students with learning difficulties combined with willingness to understand and apply the approach with which each child may best learn
- VIT Registration or eligibility to be registered is desirable
- Diligence in the keeping and maintaining of records including lessons, student progress, reporting and communication with parents
How to Apply
Please submit CV & cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information regarding the role please contact MSS at Fran Cummins on 03 5779 1445 or email@example.com