Assistant to the Class 1 Teacher
Tallowood Steiner School is an independent Steiner school located in the beautiful Nambucca Valley, 3km north of the small town of Bowraville in a picturesque setting overlooking rolling hills.
We are currently seeking applicants for the position of Assistant to the Class 1 Teacher. This is a casual position working 18 hours, across 3 days per week. This position will commence at the beginning of Term 1, 2021.
We are seeking an efficient, capable and creative person who shares a genuine love of working with children. As an Educational Assistant at Tallowood Steiner School you will work collaboratively with the Class Teacher to cater for the varying learning needs of all students. This may include supporting children with additional needs, disabilities and those requiring substantial support.
The Assistant must be a role model worthy of imitation by the children. Familiarity with Steiner education, particularly early childhood education will be highly regarded.
- To support the teachers in their work and to help maintain the environment
- To be familiar with the Disability Discrimination Act and the Disability Standards for Education
- To work with small groups as well as individuals
- To assist with the integration of students with disabilities
- To implement and monitor programs devised by the Learning Support Team or Class Teacher
- Maintain, organise and update resources and equipment
- Assist in the preparation and enhancement of learning materials and associated activities
- Keep written records
- Assess reading ability of students and listen to students read aloud
- Facilitate Literacy and Numeracy programs and games
- Maintain the visual aids in the classroom
- Supervising outside playground activities
- Assisting students and teachers with sporting activities and with school excursions
- Various clerical and administration tasks including record keeping, filing, photocopying, ordering
- To positively interact with children, give each child individual attention and assistance, and be alert to, and attend to, situations needing attention; and to respond appropriately.
- To assist with ensuring a safe, healthy and clean indoor and outdoor environment for children and
- To take care of children needing First Aid.
- To attend occasional staff and parent meetings as To attend festivals where required, (sometimes a festival takes place outside usual working hours).
- Participate in professional development relevant to the role
- To follow all school policies and procedures in child protection, record keeping, discipline and grievance, health, and risk assessments.
- Current Working With Children Check
- Excellent communication skills
- The ability to work effectively and cooperatively with other team members
- An understanding of the need for confidentiality and reliability
- True empathy and respect for students with additional needs
- A willingness to be flexible and adaptable
- Experience working with primary school aged children
- An understanding of the philosophy and principles of Steiner Education
- Current First Aid certificate
Please forward an application addressing the above criteria, your CV and the contact details of two referees to:
The Principal, Tallowood Steiner School, 220 Bellingen Road, Bowraville NSW 2449;
or email firstname.lastname@example.org