Mastering Difficult Conversations
Full Program Series
Almost everyone finds certain conversations difficult or challenging. This 5 workshop program will help you change the way you think about so-called “difficult” conversations and transform them into “learning” conversations – ones that build relationships and reduce conflict.
The program consists of 5 two hour facilitated sessions using the free Zoom video app (only 4 sessions if have done the introductory session through the SEA GLaM Seminar program).
The zoom sessions are practical in nature, involving small group work and include an action plan for practice between sessions. All workbooks and support resources are provided.
For those who have already completed session 1 through the SEA GLaM Seminar Series:
Session 2: Tuesday 1 September
Session 3: Tuesday 15 September
Session 4: Tuesday 13 October
Session 5: Tuesday 17 November
For those who need to do all 5 sessions:
Session 1: Thursday 20 August
Session 2: Thursday 10 September
Session 3: Thursday 22 October
Session 4: Thursday 5 November
Session 5: Thursday 26 November
All Sessions run from 5pm – 7pm NSW time.
SEA Member Price: $370 + GST per person for 5 two-hour sessions, workbooks and course materials.
This special price is offered to Staff and Board Directors of SEA Members Schools and organisations for the Mastering Difficult Conversations program (5 sessions). Participants need to commit to complete all sessions.
Session 1: Understanding my experience: This session provides a practical framework we can use to better understand how we create our experience and how that drives our actions. If you attended the introductory session through the SEA GLaM Seminar program you have completed this session already.
Session 2: Managing defensiveness: This session builds on and deepens the work carried out in session one. The focus then shifts to one of the key factors that make conversations difficult – how we respond when something is said or done that triggers strong defensive reactions.
- Understanding the survival circuits in our brain and how they get activated
- How common story “triggers” related to Identity, Seeking, Certainty, Autonomy, Relationship and Equity create reactivity and what to do about it
Session 3: Getting curious about their stories: The focus of this session is on ways we can approach understanding the other person’s experience before we go into a difficult conversation.
- How to adopt multiple perspectives (self, other and observer) to gain more ideas about what else could be going on so we have more to work with in the conversation
- Unconscious biases that come into play
- Simple steps to defuse reactivity when survival circuits are activated in the other person
Session 4: Conducting Clear Conversations: This session brings together the skills and frameworks covered in Sessions 1-3 and focuses on preparing for, and managing difficult conversations, including:
- A step-by-step guide on how to plan an effective “clear” conversation
- How to invite the person into the conversation while reducing the chances of triggering a defensive reaction
- Practical steps to manage the conversation
- How to get agreement on the actions each person will take and what needs to happen to maintain the relationship.
Session 5: Follow-up and Support
Everyone’s situation will be different and there will inevitably be questions about applying the skills you have developed. This session provides an opportunity to ask questions and work through some fine-tunes as you prepare for your real conversation or as a follow-up after you hold your conversation.
As part of the program package you will have 12-months access to repeat this follow-up session in which you can share your challenges and learning and receive ongoing support to apply the skills and frameworks covered in the program. The repeat follow up sessions will be offered periodically. You must have completed all 5 workshop sessions to participate in the repeat follow up sessions.
More information is available via the Mastering Difficult Conversations Website https://www.masteringdifficultconversations.com/mastering-difficult-conversations-workshop
Places are limited to 24 people per group.
Register via Try Booking: https://www.trybooking.com/BKKEB